You might consider an EPDM roofing material if your commercial facility is topped with a flat or low-slope roof. Over the last few years, EPDM roofing has increased in popularity for these types of buildings. If you’re in the market for an EPDM roofing installation, let’s explore the basics of EPDM roofing, its many benefits, and what to expect when it’s installed. Hopefully, these tips will help you decide if it’s the right choice for your facility.
Ethylene propylene diene monomer is quite a tongue twister, so it’s no wonder that this popular roofing is almost universally referred to as EPDM. It is a synthetic rubber roofing membrane that continually wins praise from customers and contractors for its cost-efficiency, durability, and practicality.
EPDM is a single-ply membrane produced by combining multiple layers to create a lightweight but durable roofing material. The membrane comes in assorted thicknesses so that you can select the right option for your needs. It also comes in rolls of varying widths. This allows skilled EPDM roofing contractors to plan an installation with minimal seaming, reducing the risk of leaks.
When you select a quality EPDM roofing material and an experienced installer, you’ll enjoy several benefits:
- Savings. EPDM roofing is considered one of the most cost-effective forms of roofing. The cost of an EPDM roof will depend on the complexity of your system and the work needed to prepare your roof.
- Durability. EPDM excels when things get rough. It resists wind uplift and ultraviolet rays beautifully. It also expands or contracts when temperatures change, so it doesn’t crack or break. Rain, hail, and other natural threats tend to bounce off these rubber roofs without inflicting damage.
- Resistance to fire. Fire is a major hazard for any commercial building. An EPDM roof can help reduce the risk since it’s a fire-resistant material.
- Resistance to chemicals. The output from vents and exhaust hoods can also be problematic for some roofs. EPDM roofing material has a natural resistance to chemicals, thereby reducing those concerns.
- Efficiency. Black EPDM helps to retain heat, which can assist with heating bills during cold winter months. White EPDM roofing can be effective in reflecting the sun’s rays away. This helps to reduce cooling costs.
- Repairability. The way that EPDM roofs are constructed makes repairs easy and affordable. Simply repair the affected area instead of the entire roof.
EPDM Roofing Installation
One of the major benefits of any rubber roof installation, including EPDM, is speed. Whether you need a new roof or a roof replacement, it won’t take long for an experienced roofing contractor to install your new EPDM system. These systems do require professional installation. The state of Pennsylvania requires that EPDM roof installers are certified. If not, it could void your warranty.
When you’re searching for an experienced commercial roofing contractor in the Pittsburgh area, trust CBF Contracting Inc. We’re proud to deliver top-quality new roofing installations, roof replacements, and roof repairs. Our coverage area expands from Pennsylvania, Ohio & NY. If you have questions about EPDM commercial roofing or want to arrange for an EPDM roofing installation or repair, we’re ready to assist you. Contact CBF Contracting Inc. today to discuss your roofing needs.